Living on the mission field during Christmas is often a two sided coin for many missionaries. There’s an excitement in being able to share the Good News of this season with the locals your ministering to. But at the same time there’s an overwhelming sense of loneliness.
Loneliness is a challenge most missionaries face on a daily basis. But on Christmas, it just seems to hurt more. You know that your family and friends are getting all together, but you’re not there. In a way you feel almost forgotten.
And to be totally honest, it’s just part of the deal. When we left family and friends, comforts, and even our favorite snacks, Christmas — as we knew it — was gone too.
And even though it can be very difficult, most missionaries wouldn’t trade it! We are compelled by the love of Christ to be exactly where we are and that’s where we want to be. But that doesn’t mean we don’t have moments of being homesick and yearn to be surrounded by the people we love.
So as Christmas approaches, don’t forget your missionaries! Reach out to them — let them know that you’re thinking of them and even find a way to bless them!
Don’t know of any? We can help! Modern Day currently has over 500 missionaries in 59 nations. Click here to see a map of our missionaries all over the world!
Here are a few ideas of ways you can bless and encourage them in this season.
- Make them a short video wishing them a Merry Christmas
- Reply to their holiday newsletter – They most likely took a lot of time putting their Christmas newsletter together. Let them know you read it and are praying for them!
- Pray for them – Create a prayer card and place somewhere you can see it daily. Pray for it every time your eyes catch and reach out to them and let them know your doing so!
- Consider the missionary’s children – If they have children, do something special for them! Send them a package with little goodies.
- Bless them by supporting them with a financial gift – Missionaries’ needs often stretch beyond their regular support. Ask them what you can give towards. Most likely, they’ll have an idea on the tip of their tongue and it might be one of the most meaningful things they receive this year.
- Share encouraging books or blogs with them – While on the mission field you are constantly pouring out and are in desperate need of resources that feed you spiritually.
By: Keeton Storts, Modern Day